Small scale courses are of use to people who want to:
- Start small-scale biodiesel in countries that do not have biodiesel yet.
- Learn about the viability of making their own biodiesel for personal, business or farm use.
- Overcome production and specification issues; improving the production process and resulting fuel.
- Start making biodiesel and want to see how it is best set up and manufactured.
- Make between 20 and 2,000 litres of biodiesel per day.
One day course – what to expect:
- Discover how to make biodiesel.
- Make a batch of biodiesel from start to finish. This is a practical activity where I thoroughly explain each step, so be prepared to get your hands oily.
- Follow the step-by-step process from the book / manual Biodiesel in Practice (included in the course).
- Learn an advanced biodiesel recipe and troubleshooting.
- Review your personal situation and identify the most practical and cost effective way for you to make biodiesel.
- 1 to 4 people per course.
- Test your oil supply, bring a sample.
- Learn pretreatment of oil, washing and drying of fuel.
- Learn about additives for biodiesel storage.
- Practice titration to build confidence.
- Look at examples of biodiesel effects on rubber.
- Discuss plant design pros and cons.
- Sketch out a design and way forward for you to build your biodiesel plant.
To get the most out of the day some previous biodiesel experience or knowledge is recommended.
If you do not have this knowledge, do not worry, you can follow the simple biodiesel in a bottle instructions in Biodiesel in Practice or read the book to understand more. The book is sent to you prior to the course to encourage questions and to help you get the most out of the day.